5/07/2010

preparing to travel

We are now one week away from going to ET and there is certainly no shortage of things to do. I actually started packing a while ago, so I feel like I'm on track. It is a lot though, since I also have to pack and prepare Xander and Ruby to go stay with friends while we are away.

Ayla is all packed, with the exception of formula. I want her on organic formula and I just have to decide which one. I packed tons of clothes, even though the guest house where we are staying will do laundry for us. I want to be prepared in case she has tummy issues and we have to throw some clothes away.

I have another suitcase packed that has all of our electronic equipment. Video camera, chargers for cameras, dvd player, flashlight, etc. are all in there. It also has all of the nanny giftbags I put together, the diaper bag, baby carrier, as well as a few other odds and ends.

Next I'll start working on packing clothes and toiletries for Dan and I. After that we'll be ready to go.

I've been working really hard on preparing Xander for the week we'll be away. We've never left him before, so I want him to be comfortable and secure with us being gone. He will be more than well taken care of (so will Ruby), but I want him to be aware of exactly what is going to happen and when. I made him a little 'book' today on the computer, called 'Xander's Big Adventure.' It is a story about what will happen the week we are away, complete with pictures of the places that we will be and the people that he will be with. I spelled out very clearly who he will stay with when and what will happen while we are gone. I hope it helps him to understand.

I also put together a photo album of him with pictures of Dan, Ayla, Ruby and I. I figured that if he was missing us, he would have pictures to look at. We also have a recordable story book for him, so Dan and I will record ourselves reading the story and he will have it to listen to while we are gone. I'm going to pack several books for him about becoming a big brother, that we've been reading quite a bit. He'll have Ruby with him for all but two days, so I'm hoping that will give him some comfort. I just pray he does not get sick. That is my #1 biggest concern.

So, we're on our way. I have a big file folder full of our important documents, so we should have all of the required paperwork in place.

It's hard to believe that one week from today we will be 5 hours into our flight (praying for no delays!). I am so anxious to get there, meet Ayla and experience her birth country. More that that though, I am anxious to get home and for our family to be all together. That is the thought that is keeping me going through all of this packing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment