7/31/2010

my dear, dear friend

The world has lost a wonderful human being. My dear friend, K, passed away yesterday and my heart is just broken. She was so young and it is so unfair. K was a truly gifted nurse who took care of me while I was pregnant with my girls. I was hospitalized for a good part of my 25 week pregnancy down at a hospital in Indianapolis. During my first hospitalization, K found out that Dan and I had just moved to Lafayette (she was from/lived in Lafayette as well). She requested to be my nurse and really took me under her wing. She knew Dan had just started a new job and I was basically stuck at the hospital alone, scared and without any family (or friends really...we had just moved)to visit. Each time I was admitted, K requested to be my primary nurse and I knew that she was there to take care of and comfort me.

K was with me when my girls were delivered. She was by our side through the entire delivery and the days that followed and having here there meant so much to me. I will never forget holding on to her for dear life as they desperately and quickly tried to get the epidural into my very swollen back. She kept whispering in my ear to just take deep breaths and relax.

We kept in touch after our girls died and I was so proud to be able to call her my friend. I had the privledge of getting to know her and even spending time with her kids once or twice. She was an amazing person and she made a difference in the lives of so many people. I don't think there are any words adequate enough to describe just how special K was.

K, I am going to miss you so much. I will always carry your wonderful spirit in my heart. Thank you for everything that you have done for me. You will never be forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. To lose such a kind person, who would reach out to a person alone during such a and difficult time....momentous. my heart goes out to you

    ReplyDelete