Poor guy. Walking the line between baby-dom and big-boyhood. Wanting to do everything himself, but not wanting to do this one BIG thing by himself. I've just about tried it all, too. Every form of bribery, candy, chocolate, promises of daily trips to the ice cream shop, cheerios in the toilet, every cool pair of underwear I could find, going cold turkey, tinkle targets, piddlers, books, dvd's. But alas, he remains steadfast in his quest to hold on to the pull-up.
I should mention that the capability is there. He was well on his way before we went to Africa last spring (wow, was it last spring!). But when Ayla came home it all went out the window. Having her around (on the heels of us leaving him for over a week) was such a big change for him, that I stopped pushing in order to be sensitive to his transition to being a big brother. It's completely understandable and of course to be expected, but we've still not been able to get back to where we were. He just won't budge!
He's recently started opening up a little bit about his nemesis, the potty, and has told me that he's afraid to use it (not sure he's truly afraid or just smart enough to know what to say not to have to do it!). Each time he says this, I ask him what he's scared of. Here are some of his answers:
*it's too deep
*the flush is too loud
*m&m's are too crunchy (???)
*I'm afraid of the zoo (???)
I've decided not to make the same mistakes with Ayla. Besides, they say girls are easier, right? So we are already talking a lot about the potty and I am trying to teach her to say pee and poop. Several time now, she started tapping on her bottom and saying what sounds like poop. I checked and sure enough, she had a nice little present waiting for me. I'm hoping that is a sign of progress. I've also decided that Ayla will NEVER see a pull-up. EVER. I'm pretty sure that these diapers in disguise have been part of the reason why I'm having so much trouble with my little guy (there are others, but he's definitely hooked on the pull-up).
So, if anyone out there has ANY advice on how to potty-train a very spirited pre-schooler, PLEASE let me know. Until then I will keep my bottle of Febreeze handy and my money in the diaper biz!
a boy and his potty
a very small sampling of our potty paraphernalia
Oh Jana, I feel for ya!!! Not fun at all. When Micah came home, Isaac decided he'd start pooping his pants once in a while since Micah was allowed to. :) Anyway, I agree with your idea of NOT using pull ups. We refused to let Isaac wear them when we started and a few accidents in his pants later, he was ready to use the potty....especially since I made him help me clean it up! Not that it works for everyone...they're all so different.
ReplyDeleteHang in there!!!
I second (third?) the no pull-up! We let Abram wear them at night because, quite frankly, I didn't feel like changing sheets every morning as we was potty training. However, he's taken full advantage and now will not stay dry at night to save his life!
ReplyDeleteHave you tried seeing what Xander will do if he has to go potty and is naked?? Sounds crazy, I know. But, we learned before bath one day that Grayson WOULD NOT have an accident if he was naked from the waist down. He wasn't even hard core potty training and he would use his little potty to avoid going on the ground. Just a thought...could result in quite the mess:)