We started out the week with Valentine's Day. We had a lot of preparation for this holiday, as Xander was having a friendship celebration at school and he wanted to make Valentine cards for each of his class mates. I was so proud that he made 25 valentine's all by himself. He used stickers (his favorite way to decorate), glitter glue and markers. Each and every one was an original!
There was a lot of baking to be done as well. I volunteered to make sugar cookies for the celebration, so the kids could decorate. We also made some extra special treats for his amazingly wonderful teachers.
Valentine's day itself was fun too. Xander came home with lots of valentine cards and some even had candy. Those of you who know Xander know his affinity for all things sugar, so boy was he happy! He had his first ever, lollipop (I knew it was going to happen sooner or later!), but I did have to draw the line at fun-dip and threw that away (I know, mean mommy). There were also heart shaped rice-krispie treats (his first time for those as well...I know, I deprive him). I attempted to make red velvet pancakes for dinner, but they were terrible! I scrapped them and we had plain old pancakes instead. Oh well! Xander and Ayla each got a small box of chocolate after dinner. Xander was thrilled! Ayla wasn't interested, but she had fun looking at the box.
Tuesday was Xander's big day at taekwondo. He earned a new belt!
Wednesday, Mommy had an interview for nursing school. It was the first time I put on 'real' clothes (anything other than jeans or sweats) in a long time, so we thought we should document the occasion!
Thursday was my birthday. The weather was so warm, it was heavenly! A real taste of spring. Dan got me sushi for lunch and then cooked me a great dinner followed by a delicious cake. I'm not a big birthday person, but my family really makes them special.
The nice weather continued, so we took advantage of it on Saturday and headed down to Indy. After a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods run, we made our way to the Children's Museum. We hadn't been there since Xander was a baby, so it was time to check it out. The kids had a blast seeing the dinosaurs and the Dora & Diego Let's Explore Exhibit. They had a wonderful exhibit all about Egypt (Xander tried on traditional Egyptian clothes) and of course we had to take a ride on the carousel.
The kids had an absolute blast! Wish we lived closer so we could go more often. It was so hard to get good pictures, because they did not stop moving the entire time. After we were completely overstimulated and adequately covered in germs, we headed back to the car for a snack and a nap and headed home for our next stop..a potluck dinner.
(Xander was so tired at this point...not a happy camper, as you can see.)
We spent today just relaxing. It was gray and chilly, so the perfect day to stay inside. We played, cleaned and did laundry. It must have caught up with the kids, though. Xander asked to go to bed tonight and they are both sleeping and it's not even 7:30! Not a bad idea actually. I think I'm next...
great to see the kids. And what an amazing Valentine's day you had, candy, cookies and rice crispy treats! I remember when my son discovered there was more candy than tootsie pops!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!